Something for Xmas

Today we had our first Christmas Craft Workshop of the year in our church hall and this is one of the three crafts we made – a yarn-wrapped wreath for our local nursing home.   Every year, sadly, there are people in nursing homes who do not receive cards or gifts or even visits.  This year, at each crafting workshop we make extra gifts  and deliver them, along with our homemade cards, to our local nursing home.

Yarn-wrapped Christmas wreath
Yarn-wrapped Christmas wreath

We made these wreaths by cutting out the inner circle of two foam plates, gluing the outer rims together and then wrapping the rims with colourful yarn.  The leaves of the holly were cut from green felt and decorated with a bit of silver paint.  The berries as you can see are small red buttons.  The wreath is very light and is hung by a green chenille pipe cleaner.  It is just the thing to brighten up the door or wall of a senior in a nursing home.

By the way, we didn’t waste the inner circles of the foam plates.  We cut three circles (one larger, one medium and one small) from the centres and used them to construct some cheerful snowmen which we glued to a folded christmas ribbon so that they could be hung over the branch of a tree.  We embellished the snowmen with felt toques sporting small pompoms, small wiggly eyes, pipe cleaner arms and bright coloured buttons.  They could be added to the wreath if not used for a tree ornament.     The snowmen are easily made by a young child.

Snowman ornament
Snowman ornament

Cards For Fathers

Here are four of the cards I made for Father’s Day in the local nursing home.  The ideas came from various Pinterest postings.  Pinterest is a veritable crafter’s treasure chest of ideas.  Thank you to the crafter’s who share their great ideas.  The message inside the card is simply “Happy Father’s Day”.

Have a tie-rrific Day!
Have a tie-rrific Day!
Wishing you the very vest.
Wishing you the very vest.

 

Another "tie-rrific" card.
Another “tie-rrific” card.

Two Crafts I’ve Been Doing

We’re on holiday now and while fighting off bronchitis (cough, cough, cough) I’ve been experimenting with some crafts.   I bought some washers and made pendants, which turned out not too badly.  Each one gets better.  I also began having some fun making a clothespeg doll which, I’m happy to say, turned out rather well.  You can be the judge.

Pendants made from washers.
Pendants made from washers.
Clothespin Flapper
Clothespin Flapper

Dolls, Dolls, Dolls!

Dolls, Dolls, Dolls!

Maybe I’ve entered my second childhood…or maybe I never really left my first.  Anyhow, I wanted to do something extra for our neighbour’s daughter for her Halloween Treat bag.  I printed up some crossword puzzles, search-a-words etc. to put into it.  Then I remembered how much I loved playing with paper dolls when I was her age.  I decided to make a doll that was a bit more substantial than paper so I cut my doll shape out of an art foam sheet (pink) and glued paper underwear, socks, shoes and halter top to it.  I made her hair out of foam too and glued on eyes, mouth etc.   Then I made a paper dress which folded over one shoulder with tabs to hold it on, but I also added a small paper clip to keep it secure.  I thought she could make clothes for the doll herself using the pattern from the one I’d made.  She was very pleased with the doll.

Then I thought I might do the same sort of thing for our foster child in Africa.  I thought foam would be light enough to send in an envelope.  This time I decided to cover the foam with some felt – a warm light brown.  I cut out two pieces of felt to cover the front and back of the doll.  I glued them on to the foam with white glue and then I thought I should make it even more secure by stitching the felt to the foam.  To dress the doll, I got out my felt scraps and glued, then sewed on the panties, halter top, socks and shoes.  I then embroidered on her face.  The hair posed a problem, but I solved it by cutting out a  black felt pattern and attaching it to the front and back of the figure.  To make her dress, I just traced around her, allowing some extra for a small seam and sewed the dress by hand as neatly as I could (sewing machines would be easier).  I think it turned out okay.

I was happy with the way the first doll turned out so I made another, this one for one of our granddaughters.  I cut out the foam again, this time covering it with beige felt.  I made a few improvements.  I embroidered on the face before gluing it to the foam.  I made the dolls hair out of darn, sewing it to the felt and foam in overlapping layers of loops.

I chose red felt for the dress and cut out a piece for the front and two for the back.  I sewed up the sides and shoulders, slipped the doll into it and then made elastic button loops on one side of the dress back and sewed small white buttons on the other.  Yellow felt flowers with dark brown centers provided the decoration.  I sewed them on.  I plan to make another doll for our other granddaughter and hopefully make each doll two dresses.  The next project afterwards is to make a boy doll.  I’m having such fun making these dolls.  I’m thinking of making them fold-up dolls houses out of felt. foam and cardboard.  We shall see how ambitious I feel as it gets closer to Christmas.