I saw this idea on Pinterest and decided to make one for my little grandson who loves to “cook” when his mom and dad do. It took a day to make because I do a lot of hand-sewing as well as by machine. I had fun making it. It is a play stove which can be put on the seat of a chair and fastened to the back. The advantage to this is that it can be folded up and stowed away when not in use.
The dials are large buttons I found at Fabricland where I got the material. I hope my grandson has as much fun playing with this stove as I had making it.
One of the items on my granddaughters Christmas list was doll clothes for the 18″ doll I gave her two years ago. Here are the things I made for her doll:
Cosy polka dot pj’s with slippers.
Brushed denim jacket with red plaid pocket and trim and pants.
Back of the jacket and front of reversible cape.
Inside of reversible cape.
Cupcake jumpsuit with lace and mouse button trim.
The pattern I used for the doll’s clothes was McCall’s M6526. It is the first time I’ve ever attempted something so small. I can see my mistakes but hope the doll will overlook them. 😀
Before you are thoroughly sick of this topic, I thought I should explain how I made my fascinators.
Needed materials: Dollar store headbands (the fabric covered ones)
sturdy felt (the flimsy kind won’t hold its shape)
needle and thread
silk flowers, ribbon, sheer fabric, buttons, lace etc.
Step number one: Cut out two felt circles (5-6 inch radius). Place one of the circles on the inside of the headband so that it is more to one side. Sew the felt to the headband.
Step number two: Place the other felt circle on top of the first one so that it covers the headband. Pin in place.
Step number three: Sew the felt pieces together. Now you have a base upon which to put your embellishments. I sewed mine in place, but you could use a fabric glue.
There are the three latest versions. Now, I promise no more fascinators! I hope this has been helpful for those who are interested in making some themselves. It’s been fun, but its time to move on to another addicting craft. Heeeheeeheee…
My latest crafting experiment is the making of fascinators, those jaunty little bits of fluff that adorn the society elite when they go to tea or a wedding. I want to make several for a special occasion coming soon and so I have been trying my hand at constructing some with a few things I have on hand: some headbands in various colours, coloured felt, ribbons,tulle, artificial flowers, felt maple leaves, buttons and anything else I can find. Here are the first results:
I’m having great fun making these and I have been hand-sewing them together. I have some large barrettes to use as well, but I will need to use the glue gun to construct them.
I have been working on a doll for my grand-niece (my Grand-Aunt Bess made one for me) and when I had finished constructing her, I knew she must be a ballerina with the long arms and legs that she had. Here she is dressed for the recital in her tutu and ballet shoes. I may add some ribbon and flowers.
Here she is before I added her tutu.
Here she is with her tutu.
She is ready for her close up. She’s a bit cross-eyed but cute, I think. Her features are embroidered except for her eyebrows and rosy cheeks which I put on with fabric markers.
Here are the pillow and quilted blanket I recently finished for my grandson’s rocking chair. The pattern is one I designed and had printed through Spoonflower.com. The pillow is made from two printed squares of cotton ultra which were sewn together and stuffed with polyester fill. The quilt is made from a meter of 54 inch polyester minky which is the softest material I have ever sewn. The stuffed animal monkey was a gift from a good friend. I don’t think she will mind if I pass it on to my grandson. I’m planning on making another pillow/quilt for the newest female member of the extended family. That pattern will be different.
These are the finger puppets I made to go in the truck for the quiet book. The top ones are of the carrot, corn, peas and tomato. The one below it is the farmer. I am sorry there is so much glare in the photos, but I think you can see what I intended. Finger puppets were a challenge because the details are so small but they were fun to make. The book is now finished and bound so all I need to do is take it to my grandson and see if he likes it.
I was a bit stumped about making a train. Then I remembered that I had bought some plastic mesh canvas. I cut out the sides and ends of each of the cars and sewed felt to it. I thought about using buttons for the wheels but worried that they might pull off, so I made the wheels out of grey felt. I used an empty thread spool for the engine and covered it with black felt. I attached velcro between each car so that the train would stay together when it was pulled. I sewed bias tape to the bottom of each car so that the elastic could be threaded through it and the elastic is sewn together on the back of the felt background. Eventually the pages that back each other will be sewn together around the outside edges so the sewing won’t show. The train isn’t beautiful, but it does move on the elastic along the short track.
I am presently working on the quiet book page about trains. This is the train track, tunnel and background for the page. All I need now is to make the train. Hmmm… that will need some more thought.My plan is to put part of the train through the tunnel on a length of narrow elastic cord much like the car on the car page. I want the train to be more three dimensional though.